You are here: Home | Latest News | Home | National Safeguarding Adults Week

Latest News

National Safeguarding Adults Week

Published: Monday, 19 November 2018

Day 1: Tackling Disability Hate Crime

A hate crime is any criminal offence committed against a person or property that is motivated by an offender's hostility or prejudice towards someone because of their:

  • Race or perceived race (including nationality, national origin, ethnic origin, race and colour);
  • Religion or perceived religion;
  • Sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation;
  • Disability or perceived disability;
  • Gender identity or perceived gender identity; or
  • Individual characteristics that makes someone appear different e.g. alternative lifestyle, culture, physical appearance and style of dress. 

Disability hate crime - as with all hate crime - can occur between strangers who have never met, between acquaintances or within the family. 

What is the difference between a hate crime and a hate incident?

A hate incident is an act that falls short of being a criminal act and is therefore not a criminal offence, but is still perceived by the victim to be motivated by a hostility or prejudice based on any of the same characteristics.

All hate incidents should be reported to the Police, as they will be logged and receive a Police response.

When an incident is a criminal offence, it is logged as a hate crime. All types of crime can be a hate crime. Examples can include:

  • Assault;
  • Criminal damage;
  • Harassment;
  • Murder;
  • Theft;
  • Fraud;
  • Burglary;
  • Graffiti;
  • Arson; and
  • Hate mail. 

What response can I expect from the Police?

All reports of hate crimes and incidents will receive a Police response. Although the Police may not be able to response immediately, rest assured that they will act on all reports.

How do I report a hate crime or hate incident? 

  • In an emergency, always call 999
  • For all non-emergencies, call 101
  • Call in to your local Police station
  • Report online to True Vision at
  • Talk to a trusted friend, family member, support worker, social worker or teacher
  • Through a third party reporting centre
For further information, please visit the West Mercia Police website.